Orthodontic treatment can be successful at any age and adults especially appreciate the benefits of a beautiful smile. One of every five patients in orthodontic treatment is over 21. Jaw surgery is more often required for adult orthodontic patients because their jaws are not growing. Adults also may have experienced some breakdown or loss of their teeth and bone that supports the teeth and may require periodontal treatment before, during, and/or after orthodontic treatment. Bone loss can also limit the amount and direction of tooth movement that is advisable.
What do I need to know about early treatment?
- First Phase of early orthodontic treatment frequently begins when children are 7-10 years of age. At that time, only the front teeth and back molars are adult teeth.
- Excellent patient cooperation at this age makes substantial treatment changes possible in short periods of time.
- First Phase treatment results are usually obtained within 12 months.
- During this treatment time, it is customary to use a limited number of braces on the front teeth and back permanent molars.
- The Second Phase of treatment is usually necessary when all the permanent teeth have erupted
- The time between First Phase treatment and Second Phase treatment can very from patient to patient. During this time, retainers are worn and the patient is checked regularly.
Never Too Old To Be Your Best
It’s not unusual for us to treat an entire family, sometimes one after the other and sometimes simultaneously. Orthodontic treatment is a change for the better, regardless of your age. The biological process involved in tooth movement is the same in both adults and children. In many cases we can achieve very dramatic facial changes with adult orthodontics. Braces will NOT interfere with your lifestyle. You can do anything with braces – sing, play musical instruments, dine out, kiss, and have your picture taken.
There are a few inconveniences, but you will adjust quickly. Certain treats, such as caramels and peanut brittle, will be off limits. Also, your mouth and teeth may be a little tender after adjustments.
Braces Omaha is also sensitive to adults’ busy schedules. We have designed our appointment times to best fit work and school hours. We also take late lunch hours to accommodate our patients during their lunch hours so that little time at work is missed.